Sunday, July 25, 2010

Swim Team 2010

1st picture is Lily doing the breast stroke.

2nd picture is Rose doing the butterfly for the IM.


3rd picture is Lily...hmmm.... trying out a "new" stroke?


4th is the girls starting a race together. This only happened a few times! Big smiles.



5th picture is the intensity of Rose that always cracks me up. She is always the first ready, and will stay this way until everyone else is ready. Notice the other swimmer, Corinna, as well as everyone else... they must not share the same intensity as Rose. I think one time she stayed like this for three minutes. Just making sure she was ready!



Alrighty... I'm back. Hopefully, with renewed vigor and eagerness to type I'll be able to chronicle our lives again for the blog world. I'm going to start with swim team...considering it takes up our month of June, I figured there would be no better place to start.

This year as always was incredible for our girls, even Evie learned the art of self preservation during the swim meets. For example, she found out how to drink Gatorade from a bottle, how to eat a bag of Cheetos, how to eat her first hot dog, how to shove sand down her pants, and generally be tossed from parent to parent as we cheered on the girls during the the four hour swim meets. I will say to my credit that during swim practices I was able to work with her on jumping into the water and using balance to float in her swimmy vest. I have some great video footage of her swimming that I will add to a later post. She's just as incredible as her big sisters.

Lily at age five was incredible too! She could swim all four strokes in a race. Though the stroke judges were very kind in not DQing our little one. Her favorite was the butterfly, though it really didn't look much like the butterfly by the time she finished. She also is fearless... swimming against the 8 year olds and really not minding that she finished last. In fact, when she finished a race she normally was concerned with what she could eat next!

As for Rose at age 8 she was on top of her 8 and under age bracket. And to toot her horn she normally finished first or second! Her legs were so strong and her desire so great that a few times she willed herself to win. Her accomplishments this year were swimming the 100meter IM with the 10 year olds and winning the Butterfly in the Championships.


So, as I've dribbled on about how proud I am the girls and how great they are... I know, I know. But, honestly I love our swim team. Our coach is patient and kind to all of the swimmers. Her heart really reaches so many children, mine included. We've been blessed to have her teach our children such a great skill. And I know I'm not raising Olympic swimmers, but for the month of June our family gets a little competitive and a lot of swimming!


No comments: