Monday, October 12, 2009

A conversation with Lily

When Lily is in the car we listen to music. More specifically we listen to the Hannah Montana Movie CD. (The one that I burned over a month ago because I thought it would be fun to listen to something other than Kid Bop 14... which we've listened to for almost a year now) So, on our way to ballet it was just Lily and I in the car and I wanted to use this time for a quality conversation..... Here is a glorious replay.

"Mommy turn on the music."
"Lily, I don't want to listen to Hannah Montana."
"OK, Mommy can I please listen to Hannah Montana."
"It's not the please. I just wanted to talk to you."
"OK Mommy." Insert annoyed 5 year old voice.

....at this point I really didn't have a conversation to start, so I struggle....

"Lily, why do we have trees?" Told you I was struggling.
"So, when it rains we can stand under them so we won't get wet."

Pause for a better question...

"That's a good point. What's your favorite flower?"
"Lily"... ok really struggling at this point. I decide to redirect to something that I know she likes.

"So, what is it about Hannah Montana that you really like?"
"Her songs."
"Okay, but what about her songs do you like?"
"I like that they rock!"
"Yeah, they do rock! But, what about the words do you like?" Total English teacher popping out.
" I don't know. I like how they are fast."
...... long pause........

"Mommy can we listen to Hannah Montana?? Now??"
"Sure."
Insert rad guitar and rocking drum beat........."And it's the best of both worlds."

1 comment:

Melany @ Project Anthologies said...

he he he. I love a lot of things about this conversation. 1) I am getting very close to throwing all 6 of our Kidz Bop CDs out the window and 2) it's so funny when we start down a parenting path that we haven't totally thought through (been there )... and 3) Hannah Montana DOES rock.