Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Training

This summer I've been waking before the girls and running. Main point: I hate to run. Loathe it in fact. I've played sports all my life, but have never gotten any joy from running. So, for me to wake and purposely put running shoes on is a major accomplishment. You see all this running is for a mini-triathlon. A goal to get into shape post baby #3, and for the most part it has worked. I just want to finish this thing.
Myself, along with my friends Heather and Becky S. will be attempting to complete the 250 meter swim, 9 mile bike ride, and 2 mile run. I know it totally sounds "do"able. But, I hate to run...never understood a runner and why they would intentionally kill their lungs. In fact, the idea of running a mile is drudgery. OK got my point. Right?
So, this past Saturday I finally had a break through. I ran the 2 mile loop in my "hilly" neighborhood without stopping. (All runners my interject laughter at this point!) But, it was huge for me. The girl who hates to run finally got it. The fun in the run.... For the first time in my life I didn't suck wind and yes, got some enjoyment out of running. I don't think I will become a runner, but I'm starting to see the effect of some training. Maybe it's a little late in the training, but it happened.
Now I need to get on a bike. Hey, it's only 4 weeks away!!!! Ugh.

No comments: